SubjectRe: bugs in kernel 2.6.21 (both two release candidates) and kernel 2.6.20
Uwe Bugla wrote:
> Hi folks,
> the floppy mount error I mentioned is gone now in 2.6.21-rc2, and my kernel is smaller. Good decision to rip out Stephane's stuff, Linus!
> As I did not get a reply from Andrew I hope that the buggy stuff residing in 2.6.20-mm1 ( freezing my apache services
> - I already mentioned the problem some days ago - mm2 I did not try yet ) will never be pushed into vanilla mainline.
> I owe some old CDROM and CDRW devices manufactured by TEAC (bought somewhen in 1999): CDR 540 and CDRW 54.
> Those old CD devices sometimes get confused with drive seek errors and status errors shown in dmesg.
> The newer DVD devices (LG reading device and Yamakawa burning device) do not show those errors at all.
> As I have finished an enourmous project 6 weeks ago (transforming some 500 Audio CDs to MP3 format
> with kaudiocreator and lame 3.97 (320 kbit quality - preset insane) and then burning the material on DVDs)
> those old devices were an incredible help in some cases where the newer DVD devices refused to read some audio
> CDs without errors. That's why I do not want to kick them off at all. Never had those troubles with kernel 2.6.19 and former ones.

Other than wanting to stay current, is there a reason why you need to go
to a newer kernel to do this process? Would it be an option just to run
on a kernel which works for the moment?

Assuming that you don't want to use these drives unless you can't read a
CD any other way, would it be practical to (a) move these drives to
another machine and run and old kernel, (b) try a newer CD (not DVD)
reader, or (c) install one or both of these antiques in a USB external
enclosure which would allow you to reinsert the drive rather than reboot?

It may take a while for this problem to be identified, I doubt there are
many around for developers to test. If I have one in the "old junk"
closet anyone is welcome to it, but I have donated a lot of built from
parts machines to various people and causes, so anything that old is
unlikely to be found.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>