SubjectRe: 2.6.20.3-rt8 - DMA suffers excessive delay periodically
Lee Revell wrote:

> John wrote:
>
>> Would someone know how to disable SMM in this BIOS?
>
> There's no generic way.

I understand. Would someone know how to disable SMM in the VIA Pro133T
chipset (VT82C596B south bridge). What I/O ports do I need to write to,
and what values should I write to these ports?

> Try disabling USB keyboard emulation and any unused peripherals.

I have disabled everything I could find in the BIOS. Serial and parallel
ports, USB, integrated sound, APM, ACPI, booting from exotic hardware or
from the network. To no avail :-(

> Also google "RTAI disable SMM".

I see that they have a Linux kernel module to disable SMM in Intel
chipsets. But I didn't see the equivalent for VIA chipsets.

>>> Is this a laptop? They are plagued with SMM problems...
>>
>> No it is an "indutrial" motherboard.
>> Although I don't know what makes it "industrial".
>
> One would really hope that such a device would be designed for machine
> control and similar RT apps and thus free of SMM...

Indeed...

I wonder if VIA thinks their old chipsets were industrial-grade.

Regards.

  Last update: 2007-03-29 15:09    [W:0.050 / U:1.008 seconds]