SubjectRe: 2.6.21-rc5-mm1
Date

> > > Don't know. I usualy test -mm series. Will test tommorow and let you know
> > > after some reasonable uptime.

> > > Don't know. Did not try recently. Will let you know.
> > >
> > > It takes time as these hangs are not easy to trigger. With 2.6.21-rc2-mm1
> > > it was easy -> push the system and watch it die in minutes. With
> > > 2.6.21-rc5-mm1 it takes hours (3 hangs in ~15 hours) and not sure how to
> > > trigger it. It just happens from time to time.
> >
> > Ok. CONGIG_NO_HZ=n and uptime ~12 hours, netconsole loaded, and no hangs
> > ... until I moved my laptop. The same scenario happened yesterday during the
> > last hang. I started playing and repeating some steps which I naturally do when
> > I move my laptop.
> >
> > An hour later I came to this -> steps to hang 2.6.21-rc5-mm1 on my laptop:
> > 1. boot the system and login as root
> > 2. load netconsole (insmod netconole.ko netconsole=blah... blah...)
> > 3. unplug the cable (link goes down)
> > 4. system is frozen until forced to reboot
> >
> > This is verified and repeatable _every_ single time I tried. Unfortunately
> > the last thing seen on the screen before system is frozen is 'eth0: link down'.
> > So my guess is that when hunting for hangs I found something else that can hang
> > my laptop (netconsole that is).
>
> Which NIC do you have? Odds are that the driver is doing that printk
> while holding a driver-internal spinlock that causes it to deadlock
> when netpoll tries to send that message out.

8139too was in use. This is from lspci:

00:12.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
Subsystem: Sony Corporation Unknown device 8158
I/O ports at 9c00 [size=256]
Memory at f0404c00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]

> BTW, I guess David Miller is the defacto netpoll maintainer these days
> as most of the patches to it in the past year or two were not even
> cc:ed to me.

Ok sorry. I was looking at Documentation/networking/netconsole.txt -> 'Please send bug
reports to Matt Mackall <mpm@selenic.com>'. David added to CC.

Thanks.

  Last update: 2007-03-29 20:47    [W:0.064 / U:0.260 seconds]