    SubjectRe: 2.6.21-rc5-mm2 -- ACPI problems (lid switch broken, always shows running from AC, plugging in AC hangs machine)
    Date
    On Thursday 29 March 2007 04:15, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 01:00:45 -0700 "Miles Lane" <miles.lane@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > > On 3/28/07, Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

    > > > OK, thanks.
    > > >
    > > > If you have time, could you please test
    > > >
    > > > 2.6.21-rc5 +
    > > > ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.21-rc5/2.6.21-rc5-mm2/broken-out/origin.patch + ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.21-rc5/2.6.21-rc5-mm2/broken-out/git-acpi.patch
    > > > which will allow us to eliminate any non-acpi patches.
    > >
    > > Okay, I tested with those patches and got the same problems with the
    > > resulting build.
    > > I can't reproduce the hang on plugging in the AC with either
    > > 2.6.21-rc5-mm2 or the
    > > build with the patches you sent.

    So it sounds like the most serious problem, the hang,
    is not reproducible without the reset of the -mm tree.

    > > The other problems are 100% reproducible.
    > > I have some new details:
    > >
    > > 1. Power always shows up as plugged in to AC.
    > > 2. The lid button is non-operational for initiating a suspend.
    > > 3. Suspending from the Gnome shutdown menu works. Afterwards, the
    > > lid button works for resuming from suspend.
    > > 4. If I suspend, resume and then try to shutdown; when I see the
    > > message "The machine will now halt" the power does not shut off. That
    > > is, the various buttons on my laptop stay lit up. I am forced to
    > > shutdown by holding down the power button for five seconds.
    > >

    > Thanks. So we can conclude that all these problems are due to changes in
    > 2.6.21-rc5-mm2's git-acpi.patch?

    Miles,

    Please apply the latest acpi patch directly on top of Linus' tree.
    http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/lenb/acpi/patches/test/2.6.21/acpi-test-20070126-2.6.21-rc5.diff.gz
    If Andrew and I are in sync, you should get the same issues above as above -- no hang,
    but still problems 1-4.

    Then revert that patch and edit it to delete all changes to ec.c
    and apply it again. ie. keep drivers/acpi/ec.c from Linus's tree and re-test.
    If the symptoms 1-4 go away, then we've isolated the regression to the changes to ec.c.

    Also, it might be helpful to open up a bug report here:
    http://bugzilla.kernel.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=ACPI
    and attach to it the output from acpidump

    thanks,
    -Len

      Last update: 2007-03-29 19:21    [W:0.037 / U:4.080 seconds]