SubjectRe: [linux-usb-devel] [RFC] HID bus design overview.
On Wed, 28 Mar 2007, Li Yu wrote:

> I also sense this. we may need not such a complete layer at all.
> Although the work of hiddev/rawdev support does not begin, however, as
> the design, especially, let hiddev/rawdev live in HIDAL, I think this
> may need a bit of abstract of transport layer.

JFYI the preliminary version of the hidraw interface is now in the
hid/usbhid git tree, and has also been in a few recent -mm kernels
already.

> In current development implementation, the match process still can work
> in traditional Vendor ID/Product ID way, but it do not reject other
> means. If the author of driver hope to match for specific HID report,
> just do it. In fact, the HIDAL only know the result of match process,
> not how to do it.

The crucial thing here is that all reports but the ones that the driver
registered to will be processed in a standard way by the generic hid bus
layer, and those reports that the driver registered to will be ignored by
the layer, and passed for processing to the driver.

> Er, What's mean of your "HUT", HID Usage Table? if so, I think I have
> already explained we can do it.However, we should supply some convenient
> API for this work. or HIT is other mysterious thing? ;)

Yes, HUT is Hid Usage Table. You can obtain them from
http://www.usb.org/developers/hidpage/#Usage_Tables

Thanks,

--
Jiri Kosina