SubjectRe: [patch 2/3] libata: expose AN support to user space via sysfs
Kristen Carlson Accardi wrote:
> Allow user space to determine if an ATAPI device supports
> async notification (AN) of media changes. This is done by
> adding a new sysfs file "async_notification" to genhd.
> If the file reads 1, then the device supports async
> notification. If the file reads 0, it does not.
>
> A flag is set in the generic disk to indicate whether
> or not AN is supported. This flag is set by the SCSI
> subsystem when it registers with add_disk. The SCSI
> system gets information from libata on whether the
> device supports AN during dev_configure.

I'm not sure whether this should be in generic block layer or in libata
proper. libata sysfs hierarchy isn't there yet but is scheduled to be
added soon. Async notification of media change is generic event for any
block device with removable media, so I guess it can belong to generic
layer. BTW, I think you also need to forward the flag in sd - disk
device can be removable too. And please cc linux-scsi@vger.kernel.org
to get SCSI part reviewed.

Thanks.

--