    SubjectRe: [RFC] i386: Remove page sized slabs for pgds and pmds
    On Wed, 28 Mar 2007, Andrew Morton wrote:

    > I would like to test qlhack on ia64, because ia64 puts pte-pages into the
    > quicklists as well, but my ia64 machine is presently indisposed.

    Its probably easier to set the number of cached pages to one.

    > My (much) preferred way to handle all this is to remove the quicklists from
    > all architectures: just use alloc_page() and free_page() for pte pages, pmd
    > pages, etc. I remain unaware of any testing whcih indicates that this
    > would be a bad change.

    Tried this also on x86_64 with an enhanced quicklist patch that also deals
    with ptes (at the price of not guaranteeing the free after the tlb flush):

    real 8m56.787s
    user 7m46.380s
    sys 0m55.910s

    real 8m58.326s
    user 7m46.030s
    sys 0m56.250s

    real 8m56.900s
    user 7m46.620s
    sys 0m55.570s

    no quicklist:

    real 9m7.798s
    user 7m48.340s
    sys 0m58.360s

    real 8m58.994s
    user 7m47.980s
    sys 0m54.870s

    real 8m58.533s
    user 7m48.030s
    sys 0m54.150s

    Seems that there is a slight benefit but its also barely above noise

      Last update: 2007-03-28 23:09    [W:0.020 / U:8.276 seconds]