SubjectRe: [linux-usb-devel] [RFC] HID bus design overview.
On 3/28/07, Jiri Kosina <jkosina@suse.cz> wrote:

> The crucial thing here is that all reports but the ones that the driver
> registered to will be processed in a standard way by the generic hid bus
> layer, and those reports that the driver registered to will be ignored by
> the layer, and passed for processing to the driver.

I don't think it is a good idea to register driver for specific
usages/reports. Quite often you want to adjust processing of a report
for a specific device. What if there are 2 devices that need such
quirks? How will you do hotplug and module loading? Emit new uevent
for every report? Also, what about users and Kconfig? "Driver for
usage 0x000012345. Say Y if your hardware does not wotk correctly with
defautl handler for this usage and require special processing"???

Just register based on VID/PID and provide standard
hid_default_input_event() to drivers so they would call it for reports
they don't need to do special processing on.

--
Dmitry