SubjectRe: Linux page cache issue?
Thanks a lot! Folks!

Your reply addressed my concern.

Now I want to explain the problem that leads me to explore the Linux
disk cache management. This is actually from my project. In a file
system I am working on, two files may have different inodes, but share
the same data blocks. Of course additional block-level reference
counting and copy-on-write mechanisms are needed to prevent operations
on one file from disrupting the other file. But the point is, the two
files share the same data blocks.

I hope that consequential reads to the two files can benefit from disk
cache, since they have the same data blocks. But I noticed that Linux
splits disk buffer cache into many small parts and associate a file's
data with its mapping object. Linux determines whether a data page is
cached or not by lookup the file's mapping radix tree. So this is a
per-file radix tree. This design obviously makes each tree smaller and
faster to look up. But this design eliminates the possibility of
sharing disk cache across two files. For example, if a process reads
file 2 right after file 1 (both file 1 and 2 share the same data block
set). Even if the data blocks are already loaded in memory, but they
can only be located via file 1's mapping object. When Linux reads file
2, it still think the data is not present in memory. So the process
still needs to load the data from disk again.

Would it make sense to build a per-device radix tree indexed by (dev,
sect_no)? The loaded data pages can still be associated with a
per-file radix tree in the file's mapping object, but it is also
associated with the per-device radix tree. When looking up cached
pages, Linux can first check the per-file radix tree. The per-device
radix tree is checked only if Linux fails to find a cached page in the
per-file radix tree. The lookup of the per-device radix tree may incur
some overhead. But compared to the slow disk access, looking up an
in-memory radix tree is much cheaper and should be trivial, I guess.

Any thought about this?

Thanks,
-x