SubjectRe: [patch] sched: accurate user accounting
On Sunday 25 March 2007, Con Kolivas wrote:
>On Sunday 25 March 2007 22:32, Gene Heskett wrote:

>> >Please try this (akpm please don't include till we confirm it builds
>> > on ppc, sorry). For 2.6.21-rc4
>> >
>> >---
>> >Currently we only do cpu accounting to userspace based on what is
>> >actually happening precisely on each tick. The accuracy of that
>> >accounting gets progressively worse the lower HZ is. As we already
>> > keep accounting of nanosecond resolution we can accurately track
>> > user cpu, nice cpu and idle cpu if we move the accounting to
>> > update_cpu_clock with a nanosecond cpu_usage_stat entry. This
>> > increases overhead slightly but avoids the problem of tick aliasing
>> > errors making accounting unreliable.
>>
>> I'm playing again because the final 2.6.20.4 does NOT break amanda,
>> where 2.6.20.4-rc1 did.
>
>Yes only the original version I posted on this email thread was for an
> RSDL 0.33 patched kernel. That original patch should build fine on i386
> and x86_64 (where I tried it). This version I sent out following Ingo's
> lead has 2.6.21-rc4 in mind (without rsdl).

And since I have an amdump session running in the background using the
first 2.6.20.4-rdsl-0.33 patch I got from your web page about an hour
ago, I am very pleased with this, I still have a machine as gzip is being
restrained to a max of about 83% of the cpu. And according to my
grepping of the /tmp/amanda-dbg/client/Daily/sendsize* files, this patch
does not break amanda.

Also, to Ingo Molnar, I've removed that sched-batch thing from my scripts
as this feels considerably smoother in comparison.

Thank you very much, Con, and I hope you are improving.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)