SubjectRe: [rfc][patch] queued spinlocks (i386)
On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 10:40:17AM +0100, Eric Dumazet wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 09:59:11 +0100
> Nick Piggin <npiggin@suse.de> wrote:
>

> > Implement queued spinlocks for i386. This shouldn't increase the size of
> > the spinlock structure, while still able to handle 2^16 CPUs.
> >
> > Not completely implemented with assembly yet, to make the algorithm a bit
> > clearer.
> >
> > The queued spinlock has 2 fields, a head and a tail, which are indexes
> > into a FIFO of waiting CPUs. To take a spinlock, a CPU performs an
> > "atomic_inc_return" on the head index, and keeps the returned value as
> > a ticket. The CPU then spins until the tail index is equal to that
> > ticket.
> >
> > To unlock a spinlock, the tail index is incremented (this can be non
> > atomic, because only the lock owner will modify tail).
> >
> > Implementation inefficiencies aside, this change should have little
> > effect on performance for uncontended locks, but will have quite a
> > large cost for highly contended locks [O(N) cacheline transfers vs
> > O(1) per lock aquisition, where N is the number of CPUs contending].
> > The benefit is is that contended locks will not cause any starvation.
> >
> > Just an idea. Big NUMA hardware seems to have fairness logic that
> > prevents starvation for the regular spinlock logic. But it might be
> > interesting for -rt kernel or systems with starvation issues.
>
> It's a very nice idea Nick.
>
> You also have for free the number or cpus that are before you.
>
> On big SMP/NUMA, we could use this information to call a special lock_cpu_relax() function to avoid cacheline transferts.
>
> asm volatile(LOCK_PREFIX "xaddw %0, %1\n\t"
> : "+r" (pos), "+m" (lock->qhead) : : "memory");
> for (;;) {
> unsigned short nwait = pos - lock->qtail;
> if (likely(nwait == 0))
> break;
> lock_cpu_relax(lock, nwait);
> }
>
> lock_cpu_relax(raw_spinlock_t *lock, unsigned int nwait)
> {
> unsigned int cycles = nwait * lock->min_cycles_per_round;
> busy_loop(cycles);
> }

Yeah that's true, it would give you a lot more information for use in a
lock backoff system, so that might counter the lesser efficiency of queued
locks under contention.

You could perhaps even wait using monitor/mwait on the lock cacheline
if there are more than X CPUs in front of you. I'm not sure if the cost of
mwait is entirely within the core that executes it, or whether it slows
down cache coherency as well (which would make that idea a showstopper).

  Last update: 2007-03-23 11:03    [W:0.103 / U:1.592 seconds]