    SubjectRe: RSDL v0.31

    * Xavier Bestel <xavier.bestel@free.fr> wrote:

    > On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 07:11 +0100, Willy Tarreau wrote:
    > > I don't agree with starting to renice X to get something usable
    >
    > [...] Why not compensate for X design by prioritizing it a bit ?

    there were multiple attempts with renicing X under the vanilla
    scheduler, and they were utter failures most of the time. _More_ people
    complained about interactivity issues _after_ X has been reniced to -5
    (or -10) than people complained about "nice 0" interactivity issues to
    begin with.

    The vanilla scheduler's auto-nice feature rewards _behavior_, so it gets
    X right most of the time. The fundamental issue is that sometimes X is
    very interactive - we boost it then, there's lots of scheduling but nice
    low latencies. Sometimes it's a hog - we penalize it then and things
    start to batch up more and we get out of the overload situation faster.
    That's the case even if all you care about is desktop performance.

    no doubt it's hard to get the auto-nice thing right, but one thing is
    clear: currently RSDL causes problems in areas that worked well in the
    vanilla scheduler for a long time, so RSDL needs to improve. RSDL should
    not lure itself into the false promise of 'just renice X statically'. It
    wont work. (You might want to rewrite X's request scheduling - but if so
    then i'd like to see that being done _first_, because i just dont trust
    such 10-mile-distance problem analysis.)

    Ingo

      Last update: 2007-03-21 08:55    [W:0.025 / U:30.852 seconds]