    SubjectRe: RSDL v0.31

    On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, Willy Tarreau wrote:

    > Linus, you're unfair with Con. He initially was on this position, and lately
    > worked with Mike by proposing changes to try to improve his X responsiveness.

    I was not actually so much speaking about Con, as about a lot of the
    tone in general here. And yes, it's not been entirely black and white. I
    was very happy to see the "try this patch" email from Al Boldi - not
    because I think that patch per se was necessarily the right fix (I have no
    idea), but simply because I think that's the kind of mindset we need to
    have.

    Not a lot of people really *like* the old scheduler, but it's been tweaked
    over the years to try to avoid some nasty behaviour. I'm really hoping
    that RSDL would be a lot better (and by all accounts it has the potential
    for that), but I think it's totally naïve to expect that it won't need
    some tweaking too.

    So I'll happily still merge RSDL right after 2.6.21 (and it won't even be
    a config option - if we want to make it good, we need to make sure
    *everybody* tests it), but what I want to see is that "can do" spirit wrt
    tweaking for issues that come up.

    Because let's face it - nothing is ever perfect. Even a really nice
    conceptual idea always ends up hitting the "but in real life, things are
    ugly and complex, and we've depended on behaviour X in the past and can't
    change it, so we need some tweaking for problem Y".

    And everything is totally fixable - at least as long as people are willing
    to!

    Linus

      Last update: 2007-03-20 16:35    [W:0.023 / U:31.588 seconds]