    SubjectRe: The performance and behaviour of the anti-fragmentation related patches
    On Fri, 2 Mar 2007, William Lee Irwin III wrote:

    > On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 02:22:56PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > > Opterons seem to be particularly prone to lock starvation where a cacheline
    > > gets captured in a single package for ever.
    >
    > AIUI that phenomenon is universal to NUMA. Maybe it's time we
    > reexamined our locking algorithms in the light of fairness
    > considerations.

    This is a phenomenon that is usually addressed at the cache logic level.
    Its a hardware maturation issue. A certain package should not be allowed
    to hold onto a cacheline forever and other packages must have a mininum
    time when they can operate on that cacheline.

      Last update: 2007-03-03 04:19    [W:0.025 / U:0.104 seconds]