    SubjectRe: Weird hard disk noise on shutdown (bug #7674)
    Francesco Pretto wrote:
    > 2007/2/22, Robert Hancock <hancockr@shaw.ca>:
    >>
    >> I believe it runs on suspend, but we don't run that code on normal
    >> shutdown, do we?
    >>
    >> Tejun Heo had a patch for sd that could (optionally) trigger a START
    >> STOP UNIT command to spin the disk down after synchronizing the cache
    >> before shutdown, but I haven't heard anything of it lately..
    >>

    > Was this?
    > http://www.nabble.com/(fwd)--PATCH--sd:-implement-stop_on_shutdown-t3049703.html
    >

    > Not ready for inclusion yet? Tomorrow i'll give it a try, hoping it
    > will apply to my conf. My actually shutdown procedure is to reboot on
    > windows Xp and shutdown from there...

    Hi, I just wanted to say that I'm another user having this issue. I
    have a Toshiba M55-S3314 which is also making the same noise on
    shutdown. I have heard it from Ubuntu 5.04 on to Feisty Fawn Herd 4
    (which is using the 2.6.20-9 kernel). I had installed the newest
    version of Sidux the other night, with the 2.6.20 kernel, and it didn't
    seem to do it. But then I tried it with Feisty, and at first, it didn't
    do it. Then I suspended the unit, and it came back fine; then I
    hibernated the unit; it came up ok, but after that, it's making the
    noise again every time. So I have no idea what's causing this.

    I hope that somebody can figure this one out...for the first time since
    1998, I can't use linux on my machine! :-( I can't afford to sacrifice
    my hard drive... I'm not a programmer, but I'll be more than happy to
    try out stuff if anybody wants me to, or give logs or whatever. Just
    tell me what you want and how to get it!

    Thanks,
    Dan

      Last update: 2007-03-03 00:53    [W:5.187 / U:0.292 seconds]