SubjectRe: [lm-sensors] Could the k8temp driver be interfering with ACPI?
On Fri, 02 Mar 2007, Jean Delvare wrote:
> I like the idea, it should work as long as we are guaranteed that all
> the hwmon device accesses happen in the AML code? I'm not familiar with
> ACPI, so you tell me.

Some fubar machines do it in SMM mode, and the AML code just reads memory
regions that were updated by the SMBIOS. Or, if one is lucky, the AML
triggers the SMI (ThinkPads do this, for example -- but I am not sure that's
the only way a ThinkPad will cause a SMI), so it could be made to run
protected by the lock.

Henrique Holschuh