    SubjectRe: 2.6.21-rc2 radeon backlight
    On Fri, 02 Mar 2007, David Miller wrote:
    > Why don't we compromise for 2.6.21 by marking the Radeon backlight
    > stuff EXPERIMENTAL until the cases where IBM ACPI works and the
    > Radeon backlight stuff does not are worked out?

    What ibm-acpi backlight control does is *very* different from what the
    radeon backlight control does.

    ibm-acpi talks to the ThinkPad EC to change the brightness of the backlight,
    it has *NO* on/off support. Radeon talks to the video chipset to turn the
    LVDS output on/off (or something to that effect), and thus to turn the
    backlight on/off.

    Henrique Holschuh