SubjectRe: BSOD
From
From: Jesse Barnes <jesse.barnes@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 12:54:36 -0700

> Kernel based modesetting should get us a lot of things:

But for panics you're ignoring what Peter and I are saying.

Mode setting is complex and it is not going to work exactly when you
need the kernel crash message the most.

After debugging the kernel for 10+ years I can tell you one thing, for
a bad crash what's going to happen is you'll get the printk but that's
about all that will work at that point, and the kernel is going to
hang next. Sometimes you won't get the whole panic message, just
the beginning, even with the most simplistic printk implementation.

You will not, I repeat, will not be able to mode switch or anything
non-trivial like that when the kernel is in this state.

Mode switching on panic, just say no. :-)

  Last update: 2007-03-19 21:11    [W:0.141 / U:0.172 seconds]