    SubjectRe: forced umount?
    On Saturday 17 March 2007, Mike Snitzer wrote:
    >I'm interested in understanding the state of Linux with regard to
    >_really_ forcing a filesystem to unmount.
    >There is a (stale) project at OSDL that has various implementations:
    >Its fairly clear that these efforts (e.g. badfs patches) haven't been
    >given serious consideration for upstream inclusion. Do others see
    >value in the ability to _reliably_ force a umount by having Linux
    >discard all IOs, open files, dirty inode buffers, etc of a "bad"
    >blockdevice? The goal is to not impact the availability or integrity
    >of Linux while doing so.
    >Is this forced umount work even considered worthwhile by the greater
    >Linux community? Is anyone actively working on this?

    Having been 'caught out' on this subject more than a few times, usually by
    shutting down a remotely located box that was mounted via smb or cifs,
    and found the only way to get sanity back to the rest of the system was a
    hard reset of every other box that was also sharing that mount, I would
    think this is a worthwhile project.

    Take that as a yes vote, from somebody who isn't franchised to vote on it
    in the first place, I'm just a user, usually playing the part of the
    canary in the coal mine.

    Cheers, Gene
    -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
    "There may be no excuse for laziness, but I'm sure looking."

      Last update: 2007-03-17 06:27    [W:0.022 / U:11.912 seconds]