SubjectRe: [patch 13/13] signalfd/timerfd/asyncfd v5 - KAIO asyncfd support (example/maybe-broken) ...
On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 04:41:58PM -0700, Davide Libenzi wrote:
> Yeah, of course. I do not plan revolutions. Just asking if it's a possible
> thing to do. I can mlock the userspace ring, if imposing that burden over
> aio_complete() is seen as too heavy.

I'm not sure I follow what you're doing -- why isn't asyncfd merely calling
io_getevents() instead of reinventing everything the ringbuffer does? The
aio ringbuffer is already locked in memory. Fwiw, the aio ringbuffer was
originally wired up to a file descriptor, but that gave way to the actual
syscall in order to enforce proper typechecking and typical usage scenarios
with timeouts.

Also, there have been patches floating around for aio_poll and a way to get
epoll wakeups into the aio event queue. They deserve serious consideration
if this asyncfd seems necessary.

-ben
--
"Time is of no importance, Mr. President, only life is important."
Don't Email: <zyntrop@kvack.org>.