    SubjectRe: Stolen and degraded time and schedulers
    Lennart Sorensen wrote:
    > How would you deal with something like a pentium 4 HT processor where
    > you may run slower just because you got scheduled on the sibling of a
    > cpu that happens to run something else needing the same execution units
    > you do, causing you to get delayed more, even though the cpu is running
    > full speed and nothing else is trying to use your "cpu"? I don't think
    > there is any way to know what the real impact of two processes on a HT
    > cpu have on each other.
    > Interesting goal. Not sure it can be done.

    You're right. That's a very tough case. I don't know if there's any
    way to do a reasonable estimate of the slowdown. You could handwave it
    and say "if both threads are running a process, then apply an X scaling
    factor to their rate of progress". That might be enough.

      Last update: 2007-03-14 16:11    [W:0.019 / U:321.016 seconds]