SubjectRe: [RFC/PATCH 06/59] mv kernel/acpi/processor.c
On Tue, 2007-03-13 at 14:32 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Mar 2007, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> >
> > Move kernel/acpi/processor.c to the common hold.
>
> Please use
>
> git diff -M

OK, thanks! I'm still quite a git-nubie.

I'll update all the move patches. It may take a bit of hand work.

What I really did to do this patch series was to make all my changes in
git. But the changes where not smooth from change set to change set. So
I did one big git-diff, and then used good old midnight commander (mc)
to parse the patches. And then pulled them into quilt to comment and
send them.

> for things like this.
>
> In fact, even if you weren't a git user, I'd ask you to *become* one just
> because I think that it's a *lot* more productive if people actually see
> renames as renames, and will see what - if anything - changed when
> renaming.
>
> The "-M" flag isn't the default, simply because it generates patches that
> cannot be applied with regular "patch", but for something like this, I
> think it's practically imperative. The old kind of "remove file" + "add
> file" patch just isn't acceptable when there are very viable alternaties.

I wish I knew this before breaking it up. But I'm sure I can do
another big patch and automate these updates :)

-- Steve

  Last update: 2007-03-14 01:55    [W:0.229 / U:0.196 seconds]