    SubjectRe: 2.6.21-rc suspend regression: sysfs deadlock
    On Tue, 13 Mar 2007, Hugh Dickins wrote:

    > On Tue, 13 Mar 2007, Alan Stern wrote:
    > >
    > > The consensus is that we would be better off keeping Oliver's original
    > > patch without your silly change, and instead fixing the particular method
    > > call that deadlocked. Can you please try out the patch below with
    > > everything else as it was before? It should solve your problem.
    > Yep, it works fine with your patch in and my silly reverted, thanks.
    > But (I was about to say, even before seeing Cornelia's reply, honest!)
    > I think you do need to check (audit the source? or is some runtime
    > check possible?) for other such "suicidal" sysfs files, which
    > seemed to (sysfs-ignorant) me to pose the real problem.

    A runtime check wouldn't detect anything until someone tried to use the
    file -- at which point the process would deadlock anyway.

    On the other hand, a quick survey of the kernel source shows that
    DEVICE_ATTR is used over 1500 times. Auditing all of them is not a job
    for the faint-of-heart!

    Alan Stern

      Last update: 2007-03-13 21:13    [W:0.019 / U:0.244 seconds]