SubjectRe: [QUICKLIST 0/4] Arch independent quicklists V2
Andrew Morton wrote:
>>On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 23:01:11 +1100 Nick Piggin <> wrote:
>>Andrew Morton wrote:

>>>It would be interesting to look at a) leave the page full of random garbage
>>>if we're releasing the whole mm and b) return it straight to the page allocator.
>>Well we have the 'fullmm' case, which avoids all the locked pte operations
>>(for those architectures where hardware pt walking requires atomicity).
> I suspect there are some tlb operations which could be skipped in that case
> too.

Depends on the tlb flush implementation. The generic one doesn't look like
it is all that smart about optimising the fullmm case. It does skip some
tlb flushing though.

>>However we still have to visit those to-be-unmapped parts of the page table
>>to find the pages and free them. So we still at least need to bring it into
>>cache for the read... at which point, the store probably isn't a big burden.
> It means all that data has to be written back. Yes, I expect it'll prove
> to be less costly than the initial load.

Still, it is something we could try.

SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.

  Last update: 2007-03-13 13:21    [W:0.105 / U:2.184 seconds]