    SubjectRe: [QUICKLIST 0/4] Arch independent quicklists V2
    Andrew Morton wrote:
    >>On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 23:01:11 +1100 Nick Piggin <> wrote:
    >>Andrew Morton wrote:

    >>>It would be interesting to look at a) leave the page full of random garbage
    >>>if we're releasing the whole mm and b) return it straight to the page allocator.
    >>Well we have the 'fullmm' case, which avoids all the locked pte operations
    >>(for those architectures where hardware pt walking requires atomicity).
    > I suspect there are some tlb operations which could be skipped in that case
    > too.

    Depends on the tlb flush implementation. The generic one doesn't look like
    it is all that smart about optimising the fullmm case. It does skip some
    tlb flushing though.

    >>However we still have to visit those to-be-unmapped parts of the page table
    >>to find the pages and free them. So we still at least need to bring it into
    >>cache for the read... at which point, the store probably isn't a big burden.
    > It means all that data has to be written back. Yes, I expect it'll prove
    > to be less costly than the initial load.

    Still, it is something we could try.

    SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.

      Last update: 2007-03-13 13:21    [W:0.023 / U:66.532 seconds]