    SubjectRe: SMP performance degradation with sysbench
    Eric Dumazet wrote:
    > On Tuesday 13 March 2007 12:12, Nick Piggin wrote:
    >>I guess googlemalloc (tcmalloc?) isn't suitable for a general purpose
    >>glibc allocator. But I wonder if there are other improvements that glibc
    >>can do here?
    > I cooked a patch some time ago to speedup threaded apps and got no feedback.

    Well that doesn't help in this case. I tested and the mmap_sem contention
    is not an issue.

    > Maybe we have to wait for 32 core cpu before thinking of cache line
    > bouncings...

    The idea is a good one, and I was half way through implementing similar
    myself at one point (some java apps hit this badly).

    It is just horribly sad that futexes are supposed to implement a
    _scalable_ thread synchronisation mechanism, whilst fundamentally
    relying on an mm-wide lock to operate.

    I don't like your interface, but then again, the futex interface isn't
    exactly pretty anyway.

    You should resubmit the patch, and get the glibc guys to use it.

    SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.

      Last update: 2007-03-13 12:59    [W:0.034 / U:30.472 seconds]