SubjectRe: Stracing Amanda (was: RSDL for 2.6.21-rc3- 0.29)
On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 12:04:42AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 12 March 2007, Nish Aravamudan wrote:

> >> In my case, Doug, it will get invoked 64 times, amanda does a dummy
> >> run to get an estimate, calculates what to do based on that output
> >> which is 32 runs, 1 per disklist entry and I have 32, and then reruns
> >> tar with the appropriate level options against each individual
> >> disklist entry.
> >>
> >> But I'm puzzled a bit, what does the double $$ do?, or it buried
> >> someplace in the bash manpage? Its not something I've stumbled over
> >> yet.
> >
> >buried indeed:
> >
> >"Special Parameters:
> > $ Expands to the process ID of the shell. In a ()
> > subshell, it expands to the process ID of the current shell, not
> > the sub?$B!> shell.
> >"
>
> Well, that's clear enough, but what of the double $$ case? Would this
> them make a PID unique to each invocation untill it finally wraps a 16
> bit value, or will the kernel re-use them because they won't all be
> running simultainiously, but limited by the number of unique 'spindle'
> numbers on the system, this to prevent as best as it can, the thrashing
> of a drive by having tar working on 2 separate (or more) partitions at
> the same time. In my case 2 are possible, as /var is on a separate
> drive.

Yes there a risk of wrapping, but it is very small. You can add the command
line arguments to the file name if you want, like this :

#!/bin/sh
exec strace -f -o "output.$$.${*//\//_}" /bin/real.tar $@

It will name the output file "output.<pid>.<args>", replacing slashes with
underscores. This is very dirty but can help.

Cheers,
Willy

  Last update: 2007-03-13 05:49    [W:0.057 / U:0.088 seconds]