    SubjectRe: [SOUND] hda_intel: build fix
    At Mon, 12 Mar 2007 13:53:51 +0000,
    Ralf Baechle wrote:

    > On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 12:04:30PM +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:
    >
    > > It's no big problem to remove const in these cases, but allowing const
    > > with __devinitdata seems the right fix to me...
    >
    > Gccs derives the readability of a section used with __attribute(section())
    > from the first use, which in case of this driver was a non-const use, so
    > gcc made .init.data a r/w section. Later uses were marked with const,
    > so did conflict. Having to ensure that all members of a section are const
    > or are not const is painful, so this is clearly less than desirable
    > behaviour on gcc's side. I think gcc picking the most permissive
    > attributes for a section, that is r/w in this case would be far preferable.
    >
    > Here is a small test case btw:
    >
    > int foo __attribute__ ((__section__ (".init.data"))) = 23;
    > const int bar __attribute__ ((__section__ (".init.data"))) = 42;
    >
    > Now I'm not a great fan of the patch I've posted but it reflects what real
    > world gcc is doing so for the time being I don't see much of a chance to
    > The Right Thing (TM). And the gain from const in this case will be small
    > anyway.

    Fair enough. I agree that removing const is the only reasonable fix
    right now. But from semantics, const is a good thing, and people may
    try to add it again later if we get rid of them now. So, how about to
    comment out such as /*const*/ in each place to remind that it's
    intentional?

    Also, in your patch to ice1712, you don't have to remove const from the
    codes in snd_ice1712_read_eeprom() and snd_ice1712_probe() functions.
    They should work as const pointer.

    Takashi

      Last update: 2007-03-12 15:45    [W:3.502 / U:0.004 seconds]