SubjectRe: [patch] change futex_wait() to hrtimers
> This becomes especially important if we want the tickless code to
> really shine as far as power management is concerned. Unfortunately,
> the POSIX timer abstraction doesn't give this kind of flexibility
> easily, so it's going to be a while before we see significant
> userspace adoption of such a kernel feature, but I think it's
> something that would be still worthwhile to add.

I suspect it would be overkill to specify that on every sleep operation.
99% of applications won't care and for the 1% leftover a global per
process setting should be fine.
I think a single prctl() and a global sysctl as default would be enough.

-Andi