    SubjectRe: [patch 00/13] Syslets, "Threadlets", generic AIO support, v3
    On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 10:26:34AM +0100, Pavel Machek ( wrote:
    > > > 10% gain in speed is NOT worth major complexity increase.
    > >
    > > Should I create a patch to remove rb-tree implementation?
    > If you can replace them with something simpler, and no worse than 10%
    > slower in worst case, then go ahead. (We actually tried to do that at
    > some point, only to realize that efence stresses vm subsystem in very
    > unexpected/unfriendly way).

    Agh, only 10% in the worst case.
    I think you can not even imagine what tricks network uses to get at
    least aditional 1% out of the box.
    Using such logic you can just abandon any further development, since it
    work as is right now.

    > > That practice is stupid IMO.
    > Too bad. Now you can start Linux fork called Eugenix.
    > (But really, Linux is not "maximum performance at any cost". Linux is
    > "how fast can we get that while keeping it maintainable?").

    Should I read it like: we do not understand what it is and thus we do
    not want it?

    > That is why, while arguing syslets vs. kevents, you need need to argue
    > not "kevents are faster because they avoid context switch overhead",
    > but "kevents are _so much_ faster that it is worth the added
    > complexity". And Ingo seems to showing you they are not _so much_
    > faster.

    Threadlets behave much worse without event driven model, events can
    behave worse without backed threads, they are mutually compensating.

    I posted kevent/epoll benchmarks and related design issues too many
    times both with handmade applications (which might be broken as hell)
    and popular open-source servers to repeat them again.

    > Pavel
    > --
    > (english)
    > (cesky, pictures)