    SubjectRe: [ck] Re: Swap prefetch merge plans
    On Saturday 10 February 2007 07:30, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 14:13:03 +0100
    > jos poortvliet <> wrote:
    > > Nick's comment, replying to me some time ago:
    > I think I was thinking of this:

    Fortunately that predates a lot of changes where I did address all those.
    These will seem out of context without looking at that original email so I
    apologise in advance.

    buffered_rmqueue and prefetching x86 specific (not into DMA) were dropped

    It is NUMA aware

    Global cacheline bouncing in page allocation and page reclaim paths I have no
    answer for as I have to tell swap prefetch that the vm is busy somehow and I
    do that by setting precisely one bit in a lockless manner.

    The trylocks were dropped.

    The other ideas were to :
    -extend the prefetching. That's extra features
    -knowing for sure when a system is really idle. I've tried hard to do that as
    cheaply as possible.
    -putting pages on the lru? well it puts them on the tail
    -papering over an issue? As I said, no matter how good the vm is, there will
    always be loads that swap.

      Last update: 2007-02-09 21:55    [W:0.024 / U:0.976 seconds]