    SubjectRe: [patch] MTD: fix DOC2000/2001/2001PLUS build error
    On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 15:55 -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > On Tue, 6 Feb 2007, David Woodhouse wrote:
    > >
    > > Really, if our config is set up in sensible submenus (as in general it
    > > _is_), the "see everything" behaviour really isn't bad.
    > There are two fundamental problems with that statement:
    > - no, it really isn't always
    > Quite often, our Kconfig files have dependencies that are about where
    > the *code* exists, rather than about some nice hierarchical system.
    > Think of it this way: would you use a programming language that didn't
    > allow you anything but totally hierarcical language constructs? No sane
    > person would - because real life isn't hierarchical. Yes, there are
    > many things that are, but not all things are.
    > Example: many cryptographic algorithms are in crypto/. But then a lot
    > of them ARE NOT. They are in arch/so-and-so/crypto/ or similar. Notice?

    It isn't that far off, and we could improve it if we wanted to. In
    _general_ it's quite good already.

    > - I don't use menus at all. I use the good old textual "make oldconfig".
    > Trust me, I _want_ those irrelevant questions gone. They aren't "grayed
    > out".
    > So you seem to have this *wish* that real life was different than it is.
    > But we aren't hierarchical, and even if we were, it *still* wouldn't work
    > the way you want things to work.

    It would work quite nicely in the graphical tools, although you've
    thrown me a little by wanting it in the hacker's tool 'oldconfig' too.
    You obviously care more about turning stuff _on_ with 'make oldconfig'
    while other people who've spoken up seem to care more, as I do, about
    turning stuff _off_ that way. If I want my hand held, I'm happy enough
    to use the graphical tools.

    I think the answer is probably just to go ahead and implement the 'make
    oldconfig_noselect' so we can all have what we want.

      Last update: 2007-02-07 01:07    [W:0.020 / U:156.776 seconds]