    SubjectRe: [patch] MTD: fix DOC2000/2001/2001PLUS build error

    On Tue, 6 Feb 2007, Haavard Skinnemoen wrote:

    > I disagree. I did the exact same thing on AVR32 because !EMBEDDED
    > forces on tons of crap that just isn't useful on many embedded
    > platforms.

    I do agree. EMBEDDED largely means "non-generic/non-standard" these days.
    It's also true that EMBEDDED does *not* necessarily mean "small", since
    some of the choices that it disables can often be choices that you want on
    *big* machines.

    For example, the whole thing where VGA and keyboard/mouse support default
    to on when EMBEDDED isn't selected is quite possibly a good reason to
    enable EMBEDDED on big servers that aren't even meant to be general-
    purpose, but simply optimized for a particular environment.

    That is, technically, what "embedded" really means. A lot of the time
    people talk about it as if it was always "small", but it can be a big
    computer that is just used in a very specific turn-key environment where
    some of the default kernel choices may not be sensible.

    Linus

      Last update: 2007-02-06 23:55    [W:0.022 / U:59.364 seconds]