    SubjectRe: 2.6.20-rc6-mm3

    * Daniel Walker <dwalker@mvista.com> wrote:

    > > > If we change the current "timer" entry to be listed as
    > > > "lapic-timer" and not "IO-APIC-edge" (or one of the other names)
    > > > and replace it with the count from LOC
    [...]
    > > But, as per the previous mails, the new behavior is just fine,
    > > because /proc/interrupts just reflects reality. And the way the
    > > kernel utilizes the hardware has just changed - for the better.
    > >
    > > The same happens when say a network driver implements NAPI: the IRQ
    > > count goes way, way down. Or if a driver starts supporing MSI - the
    > > IRQ line even moves to another one. Do we try to fix those counts up
    > > to match the 'previous behavior'? Of course not. What you are
    > > suggesting makes no sense, is against current kernel practices - as
    > > we pointed it out to you 7 mails ago.
    >
    > I'm not saying we should "fake" anything .. [...]

    sorry but that's precisely what your suggestion above results in:

    > > > If we change the current "timer" entry to be listed as
    > > > "lapic-timer" and not "IO-APIC-edge" (or one of the other names)
    > > > and replace it with the count from LOC

    "replace the timer entry with lapic-timer and put the LOC count there"
    is faking something that does not reflect reality. The 'timer' count is
    for IRQ#0, not for the local apic timer.

    > [...] I'm saying list what's really happening .. In a human readable
    > way .

    we list precisely what is happening: the number of IRQ#0 interrupts and
    the number of local APIC timer interrupts. Precisely where their
    traditional place is.

    i think you might be confused by the generic name that says 'timer'. You
    should notice the other bits that are there too:

    CPU0 CPU1
    0: 495 0 IO-APIC-edge timer

    the '0' means IRQ#0. That makes it clear that this is the PIT timer.
    Clearer now?

    Ingo

      Last update: 2007-02-06 23:11    [W:0.033 / U:59.728 seconds]