    SubjectRe: [patch] MTD: fix DOC2000/2001/2001PLUS build error
    Matt Mackall wrote:
    > On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 08:09:58PM -0500, Theodore Tso wrote:
    >> On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 11:21:34PM +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
    >>> But Alan makes a reasonable suggestion -- we could work around this in
    >>> the tools too.
    >> I wouldn't call it "work around this" in the tools. It's a useful
    >> feature we can add in the tools for developers who aren't men enough
    >> to use "sed/grep" pipelines. :-)
    >>
    >> But I have to agree with Linus here that we should be optimizing the
    >> tools for people who know how to compile the kernel, but who aren't
    >> necessarily familiar with all of the hidden dependencies in the
    >> literally hundreds of config options in the kernel tree. In reality,
    >> you want to make it easy to turn on *or* off any arbitrary config
    >> option, and to understand what you need to do so you can turn an
    >> arbitrary config option on or off. If that means tools enhancements,
    >> so be it.
    >
    > With apt (or presumably with yum), you can happily apt-remove
    > a package that nothing else depends on. If you remove something that
    > other things depend on, you get a list of those things and opportunity
    > to force it (with a -f flag, for instance). If you ask for a package
    > that has other dependencies, it automatically pulls all those things
    > in unless there's a conflict. In which case you can force it again.
    >
    > There's no reason we shouldn't be able to do exactly that with config
    > symbols in Kconfig-land. The only difference is that we've got
    > slightly different semantics for our "depend" keyword. Things which
    > don't have their "depend" requirements met aren't offered as options.
    > Whereas "select" is "automatically pull in dependencies"
    > apt/yum-style.

    Perhaps this is because there is a lacking keyword. The depends controls
    visibility, perhaps a "requires" could be used to provide advisory
    information which mean "these other things will be turned on if you
    build this feature."

    > While we're at it, it would also be nice to be able to do:
    >
    > $ kconfig enable ACPI
    > CONFIG_ACPI conflicts with CONFIG_APM
    > $ kconfig enable -F ACPI
    > disabling CONFIG_APM
    > $ kconfig disable SCSI
    > CONFIG_USB_STORAGE depends on CONFIG_SCSI
    > $ kconfig disable -f SCSI
    > disabling USB_STORAGE
    > $ make

    I think depends and select provide this now, the postulated "requires"
    might make building the trees easier.

    --
    Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>