    SubjectRe: 2.6.20 PCI Cannot allocate resource region 2
    On 2/5/07, Luming Yu <luming.yu@gmail.com> wrote:
    > On 2/5/07, Manu Abraham <abraham.manu@gmail.com> wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I get this error on booting up 2.6.20 (Similar error on 2.6.17.7 also,
    > > the message is slightly different in 2.6.17.7)
    > >
    > > PCI Cannot allocate resource region 2 of device 0000:02:0a.0
    > Just did a search about this message around the kernel source tree.
    > The interesting thing is that I see the following comments at several
    > different arch/drivers files. Is it related to your problem?
    >
    > * Known BIOS problems we have to work around:
    > * - I/O or memory regions not configured
    > * - regions configured, but not enabled in the command register
    > * - bogus I/O addresses above 64K used
    > * - expansion ROMs left enabled (this may sound harmless, but given
    > * the fact the PCI specs explicitly allow address decoders to be
    > * shared between expansion ROMs and other resource regions, it's
    > * at least dangerous)

    The card supports I/O addresses above 64k, i think. It has a PCMCIA
    slot as well on it, allowing access to the same

    I have put my dmesg over here http://kromtek.com/dvb/dmesg.txt It
    looks like lot of workarounds in my BIOS to me probably, couldn't
    really make out much in there

    The bridge features from the vendor are like this ..

    PCI 2.2 Compatible
    DVB Common Interface EN50221 Compliant
    Philips I2C 2.0 Compliant
    Master mode
    UART – RS232
    Receiver mode
    Support PTC PT2225
    TSMC 0.25um 5M1P CMOS Technology
    PQFP 144 Package

    2.5V Core / 3.3V IO
    2660x2560 um2
    100K Gate
    4 Clock Domains
    99.6% ATPG Test Coverage
    32 scan chains

    Implementation
    Logical
    Logic synthesis – Synopsys 2003.12-SP1
    Test synthesis – Synopsys DFTC 2003.12-SP1
    Physical
    P&R – Synopsys Astro 2003.06-SP2

    Verification
    Logical
    Simulation – Cadence NCsim 5.1
    Physical
    DRC/LVS – Synopsys Hercules 2003.12

    DVB Common Interface EN50221 Compliant
    Memory Mode
    CIS
    Support 8/16 bit
    IO Mode
    Indirect Read/Write
    Issue address and data thru PCI local register
    Pseudo GPIO Pins
    A12/A13/A14

    Common Access (CA)
    Card reader – 7816 compliant
    DVB CSA / B-CAS Multi2
    PID/session filters

    UART
    Receiver mode only – 6 bits data
    Configurable BAUD rate
    9600 to 115.2K
    16 Word FIFO
    I2C
    Master mode only
    400k/s default

    One of the things that really confused me was, on 2.6.17.7 in lspci it
    always shows BIST is running. on 2.6.20, it is not there at all.

    If this is a bug in the BIOS, i am wondering how the older revisions
    of the same bridge works. The last two devices in that lspci output
    are Rev 01 devices

    Regards,
    Manu

      Last update: 2007-02-05 18:25    [W:0.027 / U:70.040 seconds]