    SubjectRe: [patch] MTD: fix DOC2000/2001/2001PLUS build error

    * David Woodhouse <> wrote:

    > No, it was MTD_NAND_CAFE which requires MTD_NAND, and that _is_ within
    > the same tree. I don't know why you added it to the old monolithic
    > DiskOnChip driver.

    yeah, i mis-analyzed the point of breakage - and my Kconfig hack simply
    papered it over by accident. I agree that your fix is the right one.

    > > btw., this whole select problem is not limited to Aunt Tillie: in a
    > > couple of cases in the past few months when i saw some weird code in
    > > a driver and tried to enable it i had to search around for many
    > > minutes and enable random options to figure out its config
    > > dependencies until i had the driver truly enabled. (if there's some
    > > easy solution to this then i'm all ears - but i exclude the easiest
    > > solution of adding me to the 'aunt' category ;-)
    > I come across this frequently -- and I just look at the Kconfig file
    > to see the dependencies of the option I want to enable. It's usually
    > very simple.

    i come across this problem frequently, and sometimes it's far from
    simple and involves half a dozen Kconfigs. For example pick up a Fedora
    .config of your choice and disable CONFIG_I2C.

    > It's got a _lot_ harder recently to turn stuff _off_, as rmk observes.
    > You don't just look at the option you're interested in; you have to
    > grep all over the rest of the tree to find the 'select' which is
    > forcing it on after you turn it off. It's no longer in one place.

    > > I think that by blaming Aunt Tillie you might be missing the real
    > > problem.
    > No, by arbitrarily throwing 'select' into the mix with no real
    > guidance as to when to use it and when to use normal dependencies,
    > _that's_ when we're missing the real problem.

    we should not have 'select' at all - unless it's some non-code option
    that is just a convenience switch for several other config options. A
    true dependency is already expressed in one direction via the 'depend
    on' directive - no need to express it in the other direction as well,
    that only leads to redundancy and to bugs.

      Last update: 2007-02-05 17:33    [W:0.022 / U:0.116 seconds]