    SubjectRE: ntp

    > When i start the ntp service successful on server, the client must ntpdate
    > with the server after waiting a moment.
    > The moment may be 3~5 minutes, or it may be 10~15 minutes. I
    > don't know why
    > it happens?

    Two clocks cannot be synchronized instantaneously. It takes time to compare
    the two clocks and adjust so that they stay in sync. A client will not
    accept a date from an NTP server whose clock is not synchronized -- why
    should it?

    Imagine this -- you have a clock you do not trust. You ask a clock you do
    trust what time it is, and it tells you it is 10:00. A bit later, I ask you
    what time it is. Your clock says 10:12. Can you trust that time? Your clock
    may be fast, it may be slow. You don't know. Until you check the clock you
    trust a few times and confirm both clocks are flowing at the same rate, you
    cannot tell the client what time it is when it asks you.

      Last update: 2007-02-04 09:03    [W:0.022 / U:18.876 seconds]