    SubjectRe: [RFC] Tracking mlocked pages and moving them off the LRU
    On Fri, 2 Feb 2007 22:20:12 -0800 (PST) Christoph Lameter <clameter@sgi.com> wrote:

    > This is a new variation on the earlier RFC for tracking mlocked pages.
    > We now mark a mlocked page with a bit in the page flags and remove
    > them from the LRU. Pages get moved back when no vma that references
    > the page has VM_LOCKED set anymore.
    >
    > This means that vmscan no longer uselessly cycles over large amounts
    > of mlocked memory should someone attempt to mlock large amounts of
    > memory (may even result in a livelock on large systems).
    >
    > Synchronization is build around state changes of the PageMlocked bit.
    > The NR_MLOCK counter is incremented and decremented based on
    > state transitions of PageMlocked. So the count is accurate.

    I wonder if it can be simpler. Make two changes:

    a) If the scanner encounters an mlocked page on the LRU, take it off.

    b) munlock() adds all affected pages to the LRU.

    And that's it. Simpler, solves the uselessly-scan-lots-of-mlocked-pages
    problem (which is the sole requirement according to your description) and
    doesn't consume a page flag. Optional (and arguable) extension: scan the
    vmas during munmap, don't add page to LRU if it's still mlocked.

    Why _does_ your patch add a new page flag? That info is available via a
    vma scan.

    > There is still some unfinished business:
    >
    > 1. We use the 21st page flag and we only have 20 on 32 bit NUMA platforms.

    Ow. How were you thinking of fixing that?

    > 2. Since mlocked pages are now off the LRU page migration will no longer
    > move them.

    Ow. That could be a right pain when we get around to using migration for
    memory-unplug?

      Last update: 2007-02-03 09:57    [W:0.032 / U:29.776 seconds]