SubjectRe: [patch 1/1] PM: Adds remount fs ro at suspend

Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 01:50:10PM -1000, akuster@mvista.com wrote:
>>
>> This adds the ability for the file system to remounted as read only during a
>> system suspend. Log the mount points so when the resume occurs, they can be
>> remounted back to their original states. This is so in an advent of a power
>> failure, we try our best to keep data from being corrupted or lost.
>
> Can you please explain why this can't be done in userspace?

I am sure it can. The idea came from customer inputs, speed is my
guess. echo mem > /sys/../state seems a whole lot simpler and cleaner
than having userspace figure out what it mounted and then doing echo mem.

In fact
> all existing suspend solutions seem to be doing fine doing things like
> this in userspace.

I guess I missed that boat. If you don't mind, could you point at one
solution.

>> +static struct suspremount *suspremount_list;
>> +
< snipped>

>> +void suspend_remount_all_fs_ro(void)
>> +{
>> + suspremount_list = NULL;
>> + emergency_remount();
>
> NACK. emergency_remount is exactly what it sais and should never ever
> be used for a system that you want to keep on using later on.

The code "emergency_remount" is almost identical to what we have been
using. I wanted to reuse existing code rather than dup it.

If you
> look at it's implementation it's not correct and can't serve as more than
> a bandaid for susrq.

From our customer experience, we have not gotten an bad feedback on it.
It seems to address there needs.

In fact we should probably just remove it..

>> +EXPORT_SYMBOL(suspend_remount_all_fs_ro);
>
> And something like this for sure should not be exported.
>
>> +EXPORT_SYMBOL(resume_remount_fs_rw);
>
> ditto.

All the code corrects have been address in my upcoming version.

Many thanks for you time and feedback.

Armin

  Last update: 2007-02-04 02:39    [W:1.341 / U:0.028 seconds]