    SubjectRe: 2.6.20-rc7: hid on PPC
    On Fri, 2 Feb 2007, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:

    > it would be great, if we can choose pb_fnmode while configure the
    > kernel. I have a PowerBook5,6 but want fkeysfirst. So I have to # echo 2
    > >| /sys/module/hid/parameters/pb_fnmode by hand after each boot. The
    > module-parm pb_fnmode doesn't work either in /etc/modules nor in a
    > modprobe instruction while boot. An modprobe -r usb-hid hid; sleep 2;
    > modprobe hid pb_fnmode=2; modprobe usb-hid works on a fresh booted
    > machine. Else module-parm isn't available with a built-in hid, though.

    Hi Elimar,

    sorry, but I don't seem to understand your problem. There are two
    situations - either you have hid bultin in kernel, or compiled as a
    module. In the first case, you simply modify the kernel boot commandline
    to contain a string

    hid.pb_fnmode=2

    and that's it. In the latter case, you add something like

    options hid pb_fnmode=2

    into the /etc/modprobe.conf file (or you can use any distro-specific way
    to pass parameters to modules, such as /etc/modprobe.d). This is standard
    way to do things, and it works also with hid.

    I don't think there is a need to have this as a separate kernel
    configuration option.

    Thanks,

    --
    Jiri Kosina