    SubjectRe: [patch 06/26] Xen-paravirt_ops: paravirt_ops: allocate a fixmap slot

    * Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@goop.org> wrote:

    > > Yes. vmalloc would have the annoying side-effect of actually
    > > allocating some pages which would be shadowed by the remapping, but
    > > I guess get_vm_area would do the job. I'll give it a go.
    >
    > Hm, this is a bit awkward. We need to map the shared info page fairly
    > early - say, around paging_init - but we're still on the bootmem
    > allocator at that point, so get_vm_area isn't usable yet. Using a
    > fixmap keeps things simple. It seems to me that having a single
    > fixmap available is useful for this kind of simple/early mapping, and
    > if someone needs to map something larger, then they can put it off
    > until get_vm_area() is available...

    fair enough. Please rename it to FIX_PARAVIRT_BOOTUP - you can still
    rely on it being available later on too, but we'd like to give everyone
    the right fundamental idea about this: it's meant to be a limited,
    inflexible interface for bootstrap only.

    Ingo

      Last update: 2007-02-28 09:49    [W:0.022 / U:4.684 seconds]