SubjectRe: bug in kernel 2.6.21-rc1-git1: conventional floppy drive cannot be mounted without hanging up the whole system
Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Feb 2007, Rene Herman wrote:
>> Other than these two, ECP parallel ports are the other remaining users.
>> Now, even though on a machine that still has a parallel port it might usually
>> indeed be set to ECP in its BIOS; having anything attached to the port also
>> use it as such seems quite seldom.
>
> Well, if it's some kind of cache coherency problem (the same way much more
> modern CPU's have cache coherency issues with DMA during C3 sleep), then
> it's entirely possible that the normal ECP parallel port behaviour would
> never show it, since most people tend to use it for output only (yeah, I
> realize you can use it bidirectionally, but at least on old hardware it
> tends to be "talk AT printer" rather than "talk WITH printer".

The bidirectional use is/was PL/IP, aka "laplink" connections. Yes, I
still have a machine I installed that way, and it will run 2.2.19
forever before I try it again. ;-)

> I frankly forget what hardware platforms had problems with the DMA thing,
> and what the exact behaviour even was (I think there was some possibility
> of corrupt data on the floppy). We also used to have the "nohlt" flag to
> turn off hlt entirely, and that was due to some other legacy issues, iirc.
>
> I seriously doubt we will ever see anybody who has this problem ever
> again, but on the other hand, I also seriously doubt that most modern
> machines even *have* a floppy drive any more, so I'd rather not even
> change it. It's just not worth even a miniscule risk..

Thank you.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>