    SubjectRe: threadlets as 'naive pool of threads', epoll, some measurements

    * Evgeniy Polyakov <> wrote:

    > > > Enough, you say micro-thread design is superior - ok, that is your
    > > > point.
    > >
    > > note that threadlets are not 'micro-threads'. A threadlet is more of
    > > an 'optional thread' (as i mentioned it earlier): whenever it does
    > > anything that makes it distinct from a plain function call, it's
    > > converted into a separate thread by the kernel. Otherwise it behaves
    > > like a plain function call and returns.
    > I know.
    > But it is rare case for the most situations, when things do not block,
    > so I called it micro-thread, since it spawns a new thread (get from
    > preallocated pool) for parallel processing.

    ugh. Because 'it spawns a new thread from a preallocated pool' you are
    arbitrarily renaming threadlets to 'micro-threads'?? The kernel could be
    using a transparent thread pool for ordinary pthread recycling itself
    (and will possibly do so in the future) - that does not make them a
    micro-thread one iota. So please stop calling them micro-threads,
    threadlets are a distinctly separate concept ...

    ( And i guess you should know it perfectly well from my past mails in
    this thread that i dont like micro-thread concepts at all, so are you
    perhaps calling threadlets 'micro-threads' intentionally, just to
    force a predictably negative reaction from me? Maybe i should start
    renaming your code too and refer to kevents as 'kpoll'? That too makes
    absolutely zero sense. This is getting really silly. )

      Last update: 2007-02-27 09:39    [W:0.021 / U:105.684 seconds]