SubjectRe: [RFC] Fast assurate clock readable from user space and NMI handler

* Daniel Walker <> wrote:

> The pit clocksource could be dropped pretty easy with my clocksource
> update patches, which I'm still working on but you could easily drop
> clock sources that aren't atomic like the pit .. Also the pit is
> generally undesirable, so it's not going to be missed.

that's totally unacceptable, and i'm amazed you are even suggesting it -
often the PIT ends up being the most reliable hardware clock in a PC.
Btw., what's wrong with the spinlock that is protecting PIT access? It
expresses the non-atomic property of the PIT just fine.