    SubjectRe: [patch 04/13] syslets: core code

    * Davide Libenzi <> wrote:

    > > +asmlinkage long
    > > +sys_threadlet_on(unsigned long restore_stack,
    > > + unsigned long restore_eip,
    > > + struct async_head_user __user *ahu)

    > > +asmlinkage long sys_threadlet_off(void)

    > If we have a new syscall that does the exec, we can save the two
    > on/off calls.

    the on/off calls are shaped in a way that makes them ultimately
    vsyscall-able - the kernel only needs to know about the fact that we are
    in a threadlet (so that the scheduler can do its special
    push-head-to-another-context thing) - and this can be signalled via a
    small user-space-side info structure as well, put into the TLS.

    > [...] Also, the complete_thread() thingy can be done automatically
    > from inside the kernel upon function return, by hence making the
    > threadlet function look like a normal thread function:

    yeah - and that's how it works in my current codebase already,
    threadlet_off() takes a 'completion event' pointer as well, and the ahu.
    I'll release v4 so that you can have a look.

      Last update: 2007-02-24 08:13    [W:0.021 / U:84.276 seconds]