    SubjectRe: bug in kernel 2.6.21-rc1-git1: conventional floppy drive cannot be mounted without hanging up the whole system

    -------- Original-Nachricht --------
    Datum: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 10:07:29 -0800
    Von: Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org>
    An: "Uwe Bugla" <uwe.bugla@gmx.de>
    CC: torvalds@linux-foundation.org, bunk@stusta.de, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
    Betreff: Re: bug in kernel 2.6.21-rc1-git1: conventional floppy drive cannot be mounted without hanging up the whole system

    > > On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 18:54:24 +0100 "Uwe Bugla" <uwe.bugla@gmx.de> wrote:
    > > Hi folks,
    > > Second attempt now:
    > > I already reported to Linus Torvalds and Andrew Morton that it is
    > impossible to mount a conventional floppy drive without hanging up the whole
    > system.
    > > Andrew's reaction was quite ambiguous: "We did not break it"
    >
    > Sorry, what I meant was "Neither Linus nor I broke it". ie: please report
    > this in a place where the person who did break it can see it. This you
    > have
    > done.
    >
    > > Once again and for the last time: I do not state that floppy.c is
    > broken. I only state that it is immpossible to mount a floppy drive with kernel
    > 2.6.21-rc1-git1. Kernel 2.6.20 is OK. But 2.6.21-rc1-git1 is definitely
    > buggy!
    > > I did some work already:
    > > a. I copied the following modules from the intact and sane kernel 2.6.20
    > into the 2.6.21-rc1-git1 tree:
    > > cdrom.h, floppy.c, init.h, io.h, proc_misc.c, setup.c, timer.h,
    > uaccess.h
    > > b. I adjusted some hunks of the patch for module main.c (part of
    > patch-2.6.21-rc1) to make the kernel compile without errors.
    > > But the problem still persists, and I do not have any idea anymore where
    > the offensive hunks in patch-2.6.21-rc1 could reside.
    > >
    > > Questions:
    > > a. Can someone please confirm the described problem?
    > > b. Can someone please take action to find out where the buggy code
    > resides?
    > > c. Why is this untested material being pushed into main vanilla - what
    > is going on at kernel.org please?
    > >
    > > Please take action! The bug was introduced somewhere at the transition
    > of 2.6.20 towards 2.6.20-git14.
    > >

    > I think we'll find that it works OK for hundreds of other people, so it
    > got
    > broken in some manner which is specific to a very small number of
    > machines,
    > of which yours is one.
    >
    > If that theory proves to be correct, I'm afraid that the most proactical
    > way of fixing this is to ask you to run a git-bisect to find the changeset
    > which introduced the regression.

    Andrew,
    it is definitely NOT my job to repair errors that other responsibility-free people pushed into vanilla mainline without the slightest test effort in some mm-tree for example. Who wasted it must repair it, without the slightest discussion!
    I have provided enough information and energy to establish guidelines how to fix that error.
    Above that I am still waiting for my linuxtv patches being applied which would be a nice and honest gesture.
    Any further questions, Mr. Morton, or did I pronounce clear?
    So take action now please!

    Yours sincerely

    Uwe