SubjectRe: irq balancing question

> and i guess it doesn't matter if the distribution is being done by the
> hardware, from the point of view of the kernel, i would still get the
> performance penalty.

for the cache bouncing you save assuming you have an Intel cpu (eg one
where the cache is shared). You don't save on the cross-cpu reassembly,
that is an entire different algorithm path you hit there..

> i'm just trying to figure it out, i have no real knowledge of the inner
> kernel workings, so i dont know. but i really would like to use all 4 cores.
> just how expensive is that reassembly path ?

depends on your traffic to be honest, probably a question more suited
for net-dev list.

--
if you want to mail me at work (you don't), use arjan (at) linux.intel.com
Test the interaction between Linux and your BIOS via http://www.linuxfirmwarekit.org