    SubjectRe: [patch 00/13] Syslets, "Threadlets", generic AIO support, v3

    * Suparna Bhattacharya <> wrote:

    > > maybe it will, maybe it wont. Lets try? There is no true difference
    > > between having a 'request structure' that represents the current
    > > state of the HTTP connection plus a statemachine that moves that
    > > request between various queues, and a 'kernel stack' that goes in
    > > and out of runnable state and carries its processing state in its
    > > stack - other than the amount of RAM they take. (the kernel stack is
    > > 4K at a minimum - so with a million outstanding requests they would
    > > use up 4 GB of RAM. With 20k outstanding requests it's 80 MB of RAM
    > > - that's acceptable.)
    > At what point are the cachemiss threads destroyed ? In other words how
    > well does this adapt to load variations ? For example, would this 80MB
    > of RAM continue to be locked down even during periods of lighter loads
    > thereafter ?

    you can destroy them at will from user-space too - just start a slow
    timer that zaps them if load goes down. I can add a
    sys_async_thread_exit(nr_threads) API to be able to drive this without
    knowing the TIDs of those threads, and/or i can add a kernel-internal
    mechanism to zap inactive threads. It would be rather easy and
    low-overhead - the v2 code already had a max_nr_threads tunable, i can
    reintroduce it. So the size of the pool of contexts does not have to be
    permanent at all.

      Last update: 2007-02-22 15:45    [W:0.024 / U:7.228 seconds]