SubjectRe: Weird hard disk noise on shutdown (bug #7674)
2007/2/22, Robert Hancock <hancockr@shaw.ca>:

> And yes, this is something we need to deal with. I don't think that
> disks that use contact start-stop heads care so much, but disks that use
> load-unload heads (like most laptop drives, it seems) generally quote a
> much lower cycle lifetime for "emergency unloads" caused by power loss
> than by normal unloads done while power is still applied. It's important
> enough that in some cases, like the Compaq X1000-series laptop I have,
> the BIOS appears to have a power button handler that spins down the
> drive before power-down when the power button is pressed and an ACPI OS
> isn't running. (Holding the button down when an ACPI OS is running just
> forces the power off, then you get the clunk from the drive..)
>
> Windows XP (and even as far back as Windows 98) get this right, surely
> we can do as well :-)

Yes, windows XP could handle better the power button pressed event
(causing the hd not to go to emergency parking, even when forced
shut-down, most of the times). But regarding a normal shut-down cycle,
isn't this a regression? You don't solve a regression adding a feature
(IMHO).

  Last update: 2007-02-22 12:37    [W:0.039 / U:0.328 seconds]