SubjectRe: PCI riser cards and PCI irq routing, etc
From
On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 10:35:05PM +0100, Krzysztof Halasa wrote:
> Do you mean both slots on the riser card? No, they have to be rotated.
>
> Given the table from the manual:
>
> > The IRQ (interrupt request line) are hardware lines over which devices
> > can send interrupt signals to the microprocessor. The ??PCI & LAN?? IRQ
> > pins are typically connected to the PCI bus INT A# ~ INT D# pins as follows:
> > Order 1 Order 2 Order 3 Order 4
> > PCI Slot 1 INT B# INT C# INT D# INT A#
> > IEEE1394 INT B#
>
> (I assume Order 1 is device's INT A and so on)
> the chipset-centric view is:

Well someone said the VIA uses INTA for the DN19 on their riser card,
although is that INTA from the CPUs point of view or INTA from the slot
the riser card is plugged into? There was also mention of a BIOS update
needed on some boards to even support the riser card at all. Maybe that
applies.

> Device# IDSEL INT (first)
> 0x08 A19 n/a
> 0x09 A20 n/a
> 0x0A A21 INT D (and A, B, C)
> 0x0B A22 n/a
> 0x0C A23 n/a
> 0x0D A24 IEEE1394 chip (INT B (single function), unused C, D, A)
> 0x0E A25 n/a
> 0x0F A26 n/a
> 0x10 A27 USB (INT A, B, C, D - 3 UHCI and 1 OHCI = 4 functions)
> 0x11 A28 VT823x (11.5 uses INT C so it means INT B, C, D, A)
> 0x12 A29 onboard Ethernet (INT A, unused B, C, D)
> 0x13 A30 INT A (and B, C, D of course)
> 0x14 A31 INT B (the MB PCI slot is wired this way, and C, D, A of
> course as there are 4 usable interrupt lines here)
>
> The on-board VGA is INT A (shares with Ethernet, and it's device #0
> behind a bridge so it has to use INT A).

Which bridge? Interrupts on the mainboard can do anything they want
(and do).

> Device 0x14 (the original PCI slot) ABCD = chipset DABC (as above)
> (equal to BCDA = chipset ABCD).
> This is a "backward" rotation because the "new" device number is 1 less
> than the original one (0x13 vs. 0x14), and the riser card probably uses
> "normal" rotation as it assumes the device numer increases.
> Device 0x13 is the additional slot on the riser card, 0x14 is the
> "original" slot on the riser card (uses 1:1 INT mapping and IDSEL
> from the motherboard slot).
>
> Device 0x0A would need a double rotation, ABCD => CDAB (not sure
> if it could work but there was a photo with 3-card riser somewhere
> and it seems it's the only possibility, short of PCI-PCI bridge).

This would be true, if the bios assigned interrupts to devices that way
all the time, but this is bus 0 and there are no rules. After all if
slot 0, 4, 8, 12, 16, and 20 all used INTA->INTA then that would make
sense, but slot 20 (0x14) is using INTB->INTA so that isn't the case.
And why would slot 18 (0x12) and slot 19 (0x13) both use INTA? If the
bios doesn't expect a device in slot 19 then it won't assing an irq
correctly, and it will only be correct if the bios knows how it was
wired.

> The BIOS just doesn't give an IRQ to other devices (that's what
> "n/a" above means).
>
> This is for EPIA-M but since they all can use the same riser card...

Are there any bios options for enabling support for slot 19 devices on
riser cards?

--
Len Sorensen